[tlhIngan Hol] pluralizing epithets

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Sep 27 09:42:58 PDT 2019

And just to add one more element to the discussion, isn’t {paq’batlh} poetry?

We’ve been specifically told that in poetry, the plural suffixes are not bound by normal rules of grammar. Admittedly, that was in reference to the rare, poetic use of {-mey} on body parts, but in TKD, for either beings capable of language or body parts, using {-mey} always refers to the “scattered all about” meaning, either in poetry or normal speech. There’s no reference to it being intentionally used as an insult in TKD or the Addendum.

… not that it wouldn’t be insulting… There’s just no mention of it in TKD. We can rationally deduce that it would be insulting to be referred to as a thing incapable of language, but we don’t know that Klingons actually think that way. So far as we can tell, they’d just assume that if you refer to {nuvmey} when you don’t mean “scattered all about”, then maybe you are just an idiot who doesn’t know how to speak Klingon.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.