[tlhIngan Hol] New words from "Kauderwelsch"

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 10:19:01 PDT 2019

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 at 18:01, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 9/20/2019 11:50 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>
> (By the way, it's very likely that Star Trek authors picked {qIv} "knee"
> and made it longer by one syllable.)
>
> Then why didn't they just say *knee?* I think the Star Trek writers were
> playing the same game that Okrand does: inventing a Klingon organ and not
> telling us what it is.

It's explicitly stated in The Star Trek Encyclopedia, 3rd ed., p. 393, that
this was the word for knee. Out-of-universe, the writers or director
probably didn't like the way {qIv} sounded and added an extra syllable.
In-universe, perhaps this is a dialectical word in Kor's dialect (he
doesn't seem to quite speak what we know as standard Klingon), or perhaps
there is some technical difference between {qIv} and *{qIvon}.

--
De'vID