[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "to worry"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 19 07:25:28 PDT 2019

bIt                   be nervous,  be uneasy (v)

 bIbIt
  You are nervous. (KLS)

 bIt; tI'qa' vIghro' rur
  nervous as a tika cat  (KGT)

jot                   be calm (v)
jotchoH          calm down (v)

 yIjotchoH
  [Calm down!] (PK)

 bIboH. yIjotchoH
  You're impatient. Calm down! (KGT)

(KGT 42):  the normal way to describe bland food is to call it {tlhorghHa'} (not pungent). In the past, the word {jot} was used in this sense, though now its meaning has changed to “be calm”. An upper-class diner will, from time to time, still describe food as {jot} … Among the lower classes—except for those working as servants for the higher classes—words … like {jot} … are used only in their modern senses.

jotHa'             be uneasy (v)

  AFAIK never used.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of mayqel qunen'oS

loghaD:
> You could say that their transgressions
> make you nervous (bIt) or uneasy (jotHa')

I like these two options.

But is there any difference between {bIt} and {jotHa'}, or can we use them interchangeably ?

- m. qunen'oS