[tlhIngan Hol] ordering of multiple adverbials

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Sep 16 09:28:19 PDT 2019

When I read them, I read them as:

chaq (batlh bIvanqa’qa’laH)

chaq (tugh [batlh Heghmo’])

‘ej chaq (tugh charghmo’)

reH (batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH) [… although we know that anything with {-jaj} can have grammar inconsistent with other canon]

vaj (pe’vIl joqqu’)

Each adverbial applies to all that follows. Degree of certainty seems to precede the scope of the expected delay before the action, and that precedes the quality of the action.

And since {vaj} tends to connect what follows it to a clause or sentence that preceded it, that should come before all else.

It seems almost as if there were types of adverbs similar to the way Klingon has types of verb suffixes. {vaj} could be adverbial Type 1, {chaq} adverbial Type 2, {tugh} Type 3, and {batlh} Type 4. You probably can’t have two of the same Type, and you can have zero or one of each type in any verb clause.

We could then look at other adverbials and argue over which one belongs to which type and have a good old grammatical battle over it.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.