[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mu'ghom

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 16 08:21:43 PDT 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, September 16, 2019

Klingon word: mu'ghom
Part of speech: noun
Definition: dictionary
Source: TKD

AFAIK never used in a Klingon sentence.

(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018):  For purposes of boQwI’ [i.e. De'vID's computer translation program], "definition" would be {jIyweS} "translation, gloss".  It’s not a definition like in an English-only (or any-language-only) dictionary (that explains/describes a word’s meaning); it’s a quick tag to give you an idea of what the word means.  For "entry", Maltz suggests {ghu’lIS} "item in a list".  […]  Neither {Hal} nor {mung} would be "source" in the literary sense (which I take to mean where a particular entry in boQwI’ comes from).  This would be {nompuq} "authority, evidence, attestation, reference, citation".

TREK TRIVIA:
(Lieven, 6/30/2014):  Don't forget the tiny detail (not seen) in Star Trek VI:  When Uhura was searching her Klingon books to speak with the Morska Post, one of the books had a title "Okrand's Dictionary of Klingon".  Since it was a lot bigger than our TKD, we may assume that there will be one or more addendums in the coming three hundred years...

SEE ALSO:
mu'tay' 		vocabulary (n)
jIyweS 		translation, gloss (n)
ghu’lIS 		item in a list (n)
nompuq 	authority, evidence, attestation, reference, citation (n)

PUN:
Cf. {mugh} "translate" (coincidence or pun?).
Cf. also Arabic *mu'jâm* "dictionary".  (Another coincidence?)

THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
  "He whom God wishes to severely punish, He decrees upon him to be a dictionary compiler. The life of the compiler is like living in Hell." (Eliezer Ben Yehudah, 1858-1922)

Beh Yehudah's magnum opus - *Milon ha-lashon ha-ʻIvrit ha-yeshanah ṿeha-ḥadashah* (Complete dictionary of ancient and modern Hebrew) - was published over the course of 50 years in 17 volumes, i.e. more than 8,000 double-columned pages.  It is said that the very first word he invented was the term for "dictionary" *milon*.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons