[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DuQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 12 09:08:48 PDT 2019

Klingon word: DuQ
Part of speech: verb
Definition: stab

qaDuQ
I stab you. KLS

cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'
Prick us, do we not bleed? TKW

muDuQ bom
The song stabs me. KGT

DuQ Soj
The food stabs him/her. KGT

ghIq QavwI'chaj DuQchu'
   qeylIS betleH
   chaHDaq SIStaHvIS negh 'Iw
Then Kahless's bat'leth
   pierced the last of them,
   showered with the soldiers' blood. PB

tIqDu'Daj DuQqu'meH qeylIS ma'veq cha' 'etlhmey jop
Kahless impaled his hearts with the two blades of the mevak. PB

Hegh wa' ghIq Hegh latlh
   tIqDu' luDuQlu'
   nachDu' luteqlu'
[translation unavailable]  PB

wa'DIch Hegh moratlh
   wej SuvwI' SuvtaHvIS
   mongDaj DuQlu' 'ej Hegh
First, Morath fell,
   Fighting three men at once,
   A fatal wound in his neck killed him.  (PB)

tugh qaStaHvIS rep wejDIch
   molor cha' tIqDu' DuQchu' qeylIS
   'ej lel
[translation unavailable]  PB

ghIq QavwI'chaj DuQchu'
   qeylIS betleH
   chaHDaq SIStaHvIS negh 'Iw
Then Kahless's bat'leth
   Pierced the last of them,
   Showered with the soldiers' blood.  (PB)

(KGT 71-72):  Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance of music has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to employ the verb {DuQ} (literally, "stab"):  {muDuQ bom} ("The song stabs me", or, in a more colloquial Federation Standard form, "The song moves me").  If the music is judged positively - that is, if the listener likes it - the music is said to be {'ey}, using the word normally translated as "delicious" when talking about food. Rendering {'ey bom} as "The song is good" is acceptable, but it fails to capture the real feeling of the Klingon.

(KGT 84):  Food also resembles music in that if it affects one in an especially positive way--that is, if the food particularly satisfies the eater--one may say {DuQ Soj} ("The food stabs him/her").

SEE:
DuQwI'  		spike (n)
DuQwI' pogh  		glavin, spike glove (n)

SEE ALSO: