[tlhIngan Hol] po 8 am, or 8 am po ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Sep 11 08:51:49 PDT 2019

On 9/11/2019 11:08 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> I think I've asked about this in the past too, but I've forgotten the
> answer.
>
> How does one tell the time, by the use of {Qoylu'pu'} when the time
> isn't a "round" number ?
>
> How do we say by the {Qoylu'pu'}, that it's 21.45 ?

I don't think we know. If you take the expression literally, the answer
would be to say *cha'maH wa'logh Qoylu'pu'*/it has been heard twenty-one
times./ Because at 21:45 whatever /it/ is has been heard twenty-one
times. The idiom does not seem to describe fractions of an hour.

Given that the *Qoylu'pu' *idiom is supposed to be the most common way
to tell the time outside of a military or interplanetary context, even
though a non-military context is said to be rare, it seems odd to me
that there would be no way to be more specific. Who knows? Maybe they
say something like *loSmaH vagh tup ret cha'maH wa'logh Qoylu'pu'*
/forty-five minutes ago it had been heard twenty-one times./