[tlhIngan Hol] On Klingon colours: Is the Klingon vision bichromatic?

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 07:26:57 PDT 2019

If I remember correctly, someone wrote an article about this in HolQeD a
couple decades ago. The online index shows:

     colors: 8:1/7; and Klingon physiology, 5:2/7-9.

To make a long story short, there's a theory called the Berlin-Kay color
hierarchy. It argues that the number of basic colors terms in a language
predicts which colors get named. For example, if a language has only two
color terms, they'll be black and white. If it has three color terms, the
third term will be red. If it has four terms, the fourth term will be
EITHER green or yellow, and if it has a fifth term, it will be the other of
the two. The conclusion is that languages have to name colors in a way that
fits human color perception, hence the hierarchy.

Klingon breaks this pattern by having one word for BOTH green and yellow.
The HolQeD article argued that this was a deliberate choice by MO to make
the Klingon language more alien.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Color_Terms:_Their_Universality_and_Evolution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity_and_the_color_naming_debate

bI'reng