[tlhIngan Hol] missing words from kli's "new words not in the original lexicon"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 25 08:02:59 PDT 2019

For those keeping track, here's Okrand's post to Lieven:

(MO > LLL, 8/01/2017):  Wiki in English is pronounced with stress on the first syllable, which has the same vowel sound as with or which or hit – Klingon {I} – and the second syllable is the same as English key.  So it rhymes with Mickey or picky.  If ‘Klingonized,’ I think it would be {wI'qIy}.  It's not a Klingon word, but Klingons would use the Federation Standard word (probably pronounced in the Klingon way) for this Federation thing.  I don't know if Klingons have a similar sort of thing.  I'll have to see what Maltz has to say. (It's okay to forward this information – the important part is that it's not a Klingon word, but the Klingon pronunciation [and spelling] of a Federation Standard word that Klingons use from time to time.  Same as {'e'levan}.

N.B. "... the important part is that it's not a Klingon word, but the Klingon pronunciation [and spelling] of a Federation Standard word that Klingons use from time to time".

In same way as non-Klingons in the 24th century use words like *bat'leth*, *gakh*, * mok'bara*, and *p'tak*.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons