[tlhIngan Hol] using {je} with two different verbs

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Oct 7 07:46:32 PDT 2019

Am 07.10.2019 um 15:51 schrieb De'vID:
> Going strictly by what's described in TKD, {jItlhutlh je} might be
> interpreted to mean "I (in addition to other people) drink", rather than
> "I drink (in addition to doing other things)".

I see this the same way. When I read {jISop 'ej jItlhutlh je} it sounds
to me like person A says {jISop 'ej jItlhutlh} and then person B answers
{jISop 'ej jItlhutlh je}.

So with other words, {je} following a verb means "too" in the sense of
having the same situation but it does not mean {'ej}, as having a second
action in a row. If that would work, you could say {jISop, jItlhutlh je}.

Interpreting this from TKD, where the example {qaleghpu' je} is
explained, it says:

"I and others saw you"
-> this means {je} refers to subject: "others, and me too"

"I saw you and others."
-> this means {je} refers to object: "others, and me too"

In no example it is said that je can be used pointing at the action. If
an action is listed, I'm sure that one should always use {'ej}, not {je}.

Remember the joke: When the guard says {jI'oj je} he does not mean "in
addition to being hungry, I am thirsty". What he says is "you are
thristy, so am I".

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"