[tlhIngan Hol] can we use the noun {ghom} for objects ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 18 07:35:48 PDT 2019

Although I tend to agree with Hugh, I can't help but notice that except for {mu'ghom} -- and the non-canon *{jabbI'IDghom} used on this mailing list for decades -- AFAIK all known examples of {ghom} refer to people as the English gloss "group, party, band" would imply:

ghom'a'  		crowd
mangghom 		army
QoQ ghom 		group of instrumentalists, (musical) band ) (qepHom 2018)
ra'ghomquv 		High Command
Saqghom 		landing party
SIqral bIQtIq ghom 	Assembly at the River Skral (PB, section title)
SuvwI' ghom 		band of warriors (PB)
tIjwI'ghom 		boarding party

jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH
Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam aboard! (STX)

QujwI' ghom rav:  cha';   'aqroS: jav
2 to 6 players (MKE)

Okrand includes {ghom} in a list of "groups or assemblies" of people:

(HQ 4.4 p11 "Groups"):  Some additional information has come to light regarding words relating to groups or assemblies. Among those words already well-known for different types of groups are: {boq} alliance (also bloc or coalition, though coalition is sometimes {boq ru'}, literally "temporary alliance"); {DIvI'} federation or organization (also association, league, union); {ghom} group or party (also band, in the nonmusical sense); … (also {ghom'a'}) crowd.  Add to this list: {tlhach} faction or sect.

We also have {vey} which seems to mean a set/group of (related/similar?) objects:

veymey puS neH chenmoHlu'pu'
Limited Edition.
("Only a few sets have been made.") MKE

boSwI'vaD veyvam le' chenmoHlu'
Collector's Edition.  (MKE)

 ‘echletHom vey
deck of cards (qep'a' 2018 < MKE)

wa' tlhIngan QaS vey
one pack of Klingon Forces [cards] (MKE)

For whatever reason, {mu'ghom} is the odd man out.

--
Voragh