[tlhIngan Hol] x nuq vs nuq x & 'Iv x vs x 'Iv

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Oct 13 07:47:44 PDT 2019

Am 13.10.2019 um 15:53 schrieb De'vID:
> {DevwI' ghaH 'Iv'e'} was in the shooting script for Star Trek Into
> Darkness. [...] Since it was cut, it's not
> canon, but it may give some indication of what Okrand thinks of the

I think this example perfectly follows the rule that "the question word
fits [...] in the position that would be occupied by the answer." (TKD 6.4.)

Saying {DevwI' ghaH 'Iv'e'} is literally "He is the leader; who is it?"
This implies that the speaker does not know who the leader is, looking
at a group of people.

The other way around {'Iv ghaH DevwI''e'} seems to me like looking at
the obvious leader, but he may be wearing a mask, so the question is:
"who is he, the leader I'm looking at." - (Who is that guy in the mask?)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"