[tlhIngan Hol] using {je} with two different verbs

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 7 07:37:11 PDT 2019

AFAIK there was only one example of this in TKD:

(TKD 55):  The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it follows a verb, it means “also, too”:  {qaleghpu' je} “I also saw you. I saw you too.”  As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous:  “I and others saw you” or “I saw you and others.”  The exact meaning is determined by context.
Other examples came later:

Dargh vIqem je
I'll bring tea also. CK
jIghung je
I am also hungry. PK
jI'oj je
I am also thirsty. PK
notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH
War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6
pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
Glory to you and your house.
("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly") KGT
ghop luQan tajHommey.  pe'laH je.
[the blades] providing both a hand guard and another set of cutting edges. SP2
qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'.  ghoHtaH je.  tIv'eghtaH je.
[untranslated]  (st.k, MO to SuStel 11/1996)

chalqachDaq bIQaDbe' je
Even in a tower you are not safe. PB
Qo'noSDaq boqwI'mey nejmeH je leng qeylIS 'ej chaHvaD lut ja'
Kahless also went out to search for allies across Kronos, and told them his tale. PB
QIStaqDaq cholonDI' jIyIn DaH jIyIn je
I am alive as I was when you left me at Kri'stak  (PB)
--
Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of De'vID