[tlhIngan Hol] how is the {mapIm ngIq maH} correct ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 2 08:04:50 PDT 2019

On 10/2/2019 10:58 AM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:52 AM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>     So go back to *Hoch maH.* Do you take the set of /us-es/ as each
>     /us /performing the action? Do you take the set of all /us-es/ as
>     performing the action collectively? Shouldn't you instead use *maH
>     Hoch* /the entirety of us,/ which is a third-person phrase?
>
> And once you've got *maH Hoch*, you can go all the way to *Hochma'*.

No you can't — unless you come from Sakrej. *maH Hoch* is not a *Hoch*
that is possessed by *maH.* As we see with "area" nouns, they don't get
"possessed" by the pronouns modifying them: *jIH tlhop*/area in front of
me/ (not *tlhopwIj*), and so on. I don't possess the area in front of
me; the area in front is being identified as the one associated with me.
This is a non-possessive, genitive relationship.