[tlhIngan Hol] missing words from kli's "new words not in the original lexicon"

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Oct 25 07:52:47 PDT 2019

Am 25.10.2019 um 15:47 schrieb SuStel:
> Given that in our fictional Klingon world Klingons are unlikely to know
> or care much about Facebook — what century is Maltz living in, anyway? —
> what Klingon is putting the name *qabpaq* in a dictionary?

About this topic, I recently asked Okrand for canon translations of Star
Trek movie titles. He answered that those movie titles are not part of
the Star Trek universe itself, so he could not ask Maltz for a translation.

But regarding the word paqbaq, we have many words that are defined as
"what a Klingon would call the thing when he sees it" so staying with
that, we can argue that this is what a Klingon would call facebook, so I
would include it in the dictionary, because ... honestly: why not?

> It's not really a question of what's canonical; it's a question of what
> needs to go in a dictionary. Is the KLI's word list a list of canonical
> utterances or a list of dictionary words?

The page itself says "The words listed here were revealed or expanded
upon after the publication of TKD and KGT" so it should include
everything that Okrand gives us, without asking for the reason or the
context.

But the page also says "The choice of what words deserve to be included
in this list is up to Alan."
... which I prefer to leave uncommented :-/

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"