[tlhIngan Hol] how is the {mapIm ngIq maH} correct ?

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 08:46:09 PDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 11:04 AM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> No you can't — unless you come from Sakrej. *maH Hoch* is not a *Hoch*
> that is possessed by *maH.* As we see with "area" nouns, they don't get
> "possessed" by the pronouns modifying them: *jIH tlhop** area in front of
> me* (not *tlhopwIj*), and so on. I don't possess the area in front of me;
> the area in front is being identified as the one associated with me. This
> is a non-possessive, genitive relationship.

The *jIH tlhop* vs. *tlhopwIj* issue isn't presented as a general grammar
rule applying to certain genitive relationships. It's just presented as a
weird thing you do with locative nouns. It doesn't even apply to all
locative nouns. The compass direction nouns are an explicit exception, even
in the standard dialect. "My east, area to my east" is *chanwIj* is the
standard dialect, even though I don't own the area to my east. The same
applies to *tIng* and *'ev*.

In the standard dialect of Klingon ({ta' Hol}) and in most other dialects,
> the locative nouns (or nouns of location, or nouns expressing prepositional
> concepts) do not take possessive suffixes, while in the dialect of the
> Sakrej region, they do.
> The directional nouns ({chan}, {'ev}, {tIng}), on the other hand, take
> possessive suffixes in all dialects (or at least in all dialects studied to
> date).

http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-12-holqed-08-4-a.txt

That article goes on to mention that you can say *jIH chan*, but that the
difference is in terms of emphasis ("MY east"), rather than in the nature
of the genitive relationship.