[tlhIngan Hol] how is the {mapIm ngIq maH} correct ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 2 06:14:08 PDT 2019

On 10/2/2019 7:42 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Read the following non-Ca'Non sentence from dsc:
>
> dsc "Battle at the Binary Stars"
>> {mapIm ngIq maH 'e' luQaw'meH ghoS chaH}
>> They come to destroy our individuality.
> I know that this sentence is non-Ca'Non, but there's something I wonder..
>
> Isn't the {ngIq maH} third person ? So, how can we have the {ma-} on the {pIm} ?
>
> Doesn't this violate the accord rule, or however the @!#! you call it,
> when the verb prefix doesn't agree with its' subject ?

As with all noun-noun constructions, it's the final noun in the series
that determines what "thing" you're talking about. Here, *maH* is acting
like a noun and is the final noun. So the phrase *ngIq maH* /each of us
individually/ is in the first person. We're talking about /us./ What
kind of /us?/ The /taken-as-individuals us./ *mapIm ngIq maH* is correct.