[tlhIngan Hol] qovIj ngavyaw' relative size

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 27 06:41:18 PST 2019

qovIj  		canine-like creature (smaller than a {ngavyaw'}) (n) (qep’a’ 2019)
  “a smaller animal, similar to Kruge's pet” (qep’a’ 2019)

ngavyaw'  	canine-like creature (larger than a {qovIj}) (n) (qep’a’ 2019)
  “a large animal, like the creatures that accompany the guards on Rura Penthe” (qep’a’ 2019)

qeSHoS  	fox (n) (TLP)
  "A Klingon animal that's kind of dog-like. They eat vegetation and also small animals and birds. Klingons, of course, might eat them, but mostly consider them pests." (TLP)

Qogh  		type of animal (a common pet) PK;  *krol* (?)
  Does this refer to Kruge's pet reptile-dog, Warrigul, who sat next to him on the bridge of his Bird-of-Prey. (ST3)  (see https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Klingon_monster_dog   and http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Warrigul )
   - qu'bej QoghlIj 	Your *krol* is definitely fierce.  [a compliment] (PK)
   - "We will repay this bartender, who sent us chasing wild {Qoghmey}." (KCD novel p.108)

I read these not as stages in one creature's life (embryo, fetus, puppy, adult), but as different breeds of various "canine-like" creatures.  E.g. the small chihuahua, dachshund, or toy poodle vs. the much larger Great Dane, malamut, or husky.

I don't think we know how to refer to the young of any animal (puppies, kittens, foals, etc.), just people: {ghu} "baby" and {puq} "child, offspring".  Some people have also used ANIMAL{Hom} or ANIMAL {Qup}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons