[tlhIngan Hol] additional new word: tanje'rIn

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 01:03:39 PST 2019

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 07:59, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Oh, by the way,
>
> Am 18.11.2019 um 07:56 schrieb Lieven L. Litaer:>      SKI: new Klingon
> word: tanje'rIn - the Earth fruit that Qov calls
> > an orange, but the kind that peels easily and breaks into segments
> > without getting juice on your fingers.
>
> I just read that in English, this word "tangerine" is also used for a
> similar fruit that in German is called Mandarine or even Clementine
> (which I know they were eating) so if the question arises, I'm sure
> that's te word now to use for those.

The German names for those fruits in fact correspond exactly to the same
names in English: mandarin <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_orange>
- Mandarine <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarine> (C. reticulata),
tangerine <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine> - Tangerine
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_tangerina> (C. tangerina or Citrus
reticula L. var.), clementine <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine> -
Clementine <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_(Frucht)>
(C. clementina or Citrus × aurantium).

(Whether or not Qov was really eating a tangerine, or a clementine which
Okrand mistook for a tangerine, is another issue.)

--
De'vID