[tlhIngan Hol] is this grammatically correct ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Nov 6 09:03:22 PST 2019

I like this version MUCH better, since the earlier suggestions seem to be stretching grammar to avoid the “cat in the hat” problem. The original was basically trying to say, “The emperor spoke for those who reclined where he reclined,” and the “where he reclined” is problematic because it really wants to to be a relative clause with the location as the head noun. We can’t do that.

So, {SuStel} avoids the problem entirely by setting the location as a context grammatically independent of the sentence with {jatlh} as the main verb. We already know where the reclining was happening. We know everyone who was reclining. That’s context. He spoke to the others there.

The semicolons could be periods. It doesn’t really matter. We don’t know that the Klingon language distinguishes between the two.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.