[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QIj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 4 07:40:46 PST 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, November 03, 2019

Klingon word: QIj
Part of speech: verb
Definition: explain

QaghwIj vIQIj 'e' yIchaw'neS
Permit me to explain my mistake, your Honor. PK

(KGT 149):  The literal meaning of {chuH} is "throw a spear at, hurl a spear at". The object of {chuH} is usually the intended target, the person or thing at which the spear is thrown. In the slang sense, the object of the verb is the person who wants clarification, as in {HIchuH!} ("Clarify for me! Spell it out for me!") or {yaS chuH} ("He/she clarifies [it] for the officer"). The verb {QIj} (explain) is a standard term somewhat close to this in meaning, though the object of {QIj} is that which is explained, while the person to whom the explanation is given is the indirect object: {yaSvaD nab QIj} ("He/she explains the plan to the officer").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons