[tlhIngan Hol] qepHom 2019 - booklet

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 20 06:21:08 PST 2019

On 11/20/2019 3:01 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> For those who like to read the original wording, I have uploaded the
> pages from the qepHom booklet into the wiki:
>
> http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/NewWordsQepHom2019

Does nobody understand the importance of searchable text?

Not yet mentioned on this list is the information on page 12 that
*-ngan* is generally translated as/people of,/ but that it's more
generally used to indicate a group of beings, not necessarily beings
from a particular place.

Thus we have the answer to the old dilemma of whether a Klingon living
on Earth could be called a *tera'ngan:* the answer is generally no,
because *tera'ngan* is generally understood to refer to humans, but
someone wanting to split hairs could legitimately claim that any
inhabitant of Earth could be called a *tera'ngan.* Said person should be
prepared to fend off an attack of eye-rolling.

Also not yet mentioned is that Okrand declined to explain the word
*roSHa'moH*/paralyze./ The word remains nigh-unusable because we don't
know for sure how to inflect it.
//

Okrand resists a strict classification of words as nouns and verbs. One
might consider *ret* to be two separate words, a noun and a verb, or one
might consider it to be a single word that can be used as a noun or as a
verb. He doesn't take a stand on a "correct" interpretation. This
hearkens back to /The Klingon Dictionary/'s introduction of *-ghach,*
where it is said that "it is not known if all verbs can be used as nouns."