[tlhIngan Hol] qovIj ngavyaw' relative size

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 27 06:27:39 PST 2019

On 11/27/2019 9:05 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Suppose you have a full-grown (or is it fully-grown ?),

Either.

>   german shepherd.
>
> Would you characterize it as {qovIj} or a {ngavyaw'} ?

I'd characterize it as a /dog/ or /German shepherd./ If I had to name
the closest Klingon equivalent, it probably doesn't matter whether I
pick *qovIj* or *ngavyaw',* since it's neither.

If I had to pick one... it'd be tough, since I don't really see much of
a size difference between Kruge's pet and the animals seen on Rura
Pente, which is what we're told the difference between a *qovIj* and a
*ngavyaw'* is. Kruge's *qovIj* has much less fur than the Rura Pente
beasts, while the Rura Pente beasts have tusks that the monster dog
doesn't have.

For simplicity I'd probably call all little drop-kicks *qovIj* and use
*ngavyaw'* for big dogs. But I don't think this is ideal.

> And lets say, you have a {ngavyaw'} puppy..
>
> Would you characterize it, as a {ngavyaw'} or a {qovIj} ?
>
> Or would you play it safe, and say {ngavyaw' ghu} ?
>
> And, to take this to the limit..
>
> If you had a {qovIj} which took steroids and grew the size of a small
> car, how would you say it ?
>
> On the contrary, if a {ngavyaw'}, matured chronologically, never
> attaining the expected size, but remained very small, would you still
> call it a {ngavyaw'} ?

I think *qovIj* and *ngavyaw'* are names of specific species, so it
doesn't matter whether they're immature or stunted.