[tlhIngan Hol] {chol} {ghoS} difference

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Nov 26 06:54:00 PST 2019

While this is an excellent analysis of the difference between HIghoS and HIchol, I’ll add another scenario to indicate a difference.

Imagine that I have a pristine lawn, and I have an unusual interest in people not walking on the grass. I also have a serpentine, stone walkway up to my front door. You are at the street.

If I want you to see a YouTube video I just found on my phone, I’d probably say, {HIghoS}, implying that I want you to stay on the serpentine walkway while you go from where you are to where I am.

If you are holding a fire extinguisher and my phone just caught fire because of a defective battery, I might yell {HIchol!} suggesting that perhaps the path isn’t that important, considering the urgency. Go ahead and take the short-cut across the grass. I’m fine with that.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.