[tlhIngan Hol] {chol} {ghoS} difference

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 26 06:42:54 PST 2019

On 11/26/2019 9:12 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Recently, I'm being troubled by the difference (if there's any)
> between the meanings of {chol} and the specific meanings of {ghoS} of
> "approach, proceed, come, follow (a course)", (i.e. excluding the "go
> away from" meaning).
>
> Let me describe, how I understand this difference, and if I'm wrong
> (which is usually the case), then please, do correct me.
>
> You're in america, and I'm in greece. If I say {Sachol}. then this
> means that "I get closer to you", but I don't reach the united states.
> While I'm {chol}ing, I'm travelling towards you, with the distance
> between us, becoming smaller.
>
> But if I say {SaghoS}, then based on the Ca'Non {bIghHa' yIghoS} "go
> to jail", it means that I actually reach the united states, i.e. I
> actually come to you.
>
> That's how I understand the difference, but since I'm probably wrong,
> if someone could clarify this, it would be great.

Since we've recently learned that *chol* is transitive and inherently
locative, this revises my understanding of these words.

*ghoS* refers to the following of a path. *chol* refers to the reduction
of distance between subject and object. They might be used
interchangeably in some contexts but not in others.

I don't think *ghoS* necessarily implies that you arrive at your
destination. It means there's a course between you and your destination,
and you're moving along it. You might move along the whole course, or
you might only move along part of the course. *chol,* on the other hand,
certainly implies not reaching your destination in the moment that one
is doing *chol.*

If I told you to *bIghHa' yIghoS,* I'm telling you to start moving from
where you are toward jail. Although I intend you to end up in jail, I
haven't actually said anything about arriving in jail. I haven't said
*bIghHa' yIpaw.* And I wouldn't say *bIghHa' yIchol,* because I am
actually implying that you should end up in jail, not just that you
should reduce the distance between you and jail.

On the other hand, if I wanted to whisper something in your ear but you
were too far away, I could say either *HIghoS* or *HIchol.* Either way,
you approach me, which lets me whisper in your ear. The words are
effectively interchangeable for my meaning.