[tlhIngan Hol] Suffix-number questions in the KLCP test

Hugh Son puqloD Hugh at qeylIS.net
Mon Nov 25 11:15:12 PST 2019

> On Nov 25, 2019, at 11:49, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> unless someone is a real native klingon, he can't learn the language, if he can't remember what type of suffix, each suffix actually is.

The point is that a native Klingon speaker would know how to put all of the suffixes in the right order without knowing which number each one has. I wouldn’t expect a native Klingon speaker who hasn’t specifically studied Klingon grammar to know the numbers of the suffixes any more than I would expect a native English speaker who hasn’t specifically studied English grammar to know what a participle is, or be able to name and classify the different types of articles on a test. I would even go so far as to say that a native speaker who cannot answer those questions correctly is still very likely to be more proficient at the language than a non-native learner who has perfectly memorized the names and categorizations. Being unable to correctly name grammatical elements doesn’t prevent one from using them correctly.