[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bachHa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 22 07:58:18 PST 2019

Klingon word: bachHa'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: err (slang), make a mistake (slang)

jIbachHa'pu'
I have made a mistake (slangg: "I have mis-shot") KGT

(KGT 145):  This word literally means something like "mis-shoot"—that is, shoot wrongly. It is used in such constructions as {jIbachHa'pu'} ("I have made a mistake"; literally, "I have mis-shot"). The standard word meaning err, make a mistake is {Qagh}, as in {jIQaghpu'} ("I have make a mistake").

(Qov, [date?]):  {bachHa'} is slang ... Possibly analogous to "messed up"...

N.B. {bachHa'} is labelled "(n)" in the KGT word list:

(charghwI', [date?]):  Note that this is obviously not a noun. I'm convinced that he made this mistake on purpose, given the definition. It sets the tone for the degree of perfection we are to expect from this work. He knows there will be errors, so why wait. Put one in the first entry.

(Lawrence, [date?]):  I was talking with Marc about this yesterday. I mentioned that the only problem with the {bachHa'} error in the book was that it was, by definition, canonical. I could hear him smiling over the phone as he said, "But that's only in the Klingon to English side. It's correct the other way."

PUN:  "botch"?

SEE:
bach  shot (n)
bach  shoot (v)

SEE ALSO:
bIQ ngaS HIvje' 		The cup contains water. (idiom)
(KGT 120):  This idiomatic expression means "be quite mistaken, be totally wrong."

muj 			be wrong (v)
Duy' 			be defective (v)
lugh			be right, correct	 (v)
qar			be accurate (v)