[tlhIngan Hol] number of words

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Nov 22 06:16:20 PST 2019

On 11/22/2019 8:38 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> I wonder how Klingon vocabulary stacks up against other artificial
> languages, especially those created and maintained by a single person.
>
> I doubt there are any Tolkien languages that come close.

I've seen estimates that Quenya has around 2,000 words and Sindarin has
around 1,200 — it's tough to count in part because Tolkien was
constantly evolving his languages, and in part because he often worked
with word stems rather than fully inflected words. But Elvish was never
intended to be popularly spoken; it was the philological plaything of
Tolkien. What it lacks in versatility it makes up for in depth. Tolkien
invented entire etymologies and histories of his words, deriving how
they changed from early Quendi forms into Queyna and Sindarin (and others).