[tlhIngan Hol] qepHom 2019 - booklet

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 07:00:33 PST 2019

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 15:54, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 20.11.2019 um 15:40 schrieb De'vID:
> > In the Latin transcription used to write Klingon, the two meanings can
> > be distinguished by a space: {tera'ngan} "Terran, Earther (Humans and
> > other species native to Earth)" and {tera'[ ]ngan} "inhabitant of Earth
> > (regardless of planet of origin)". In speaking, perhaps there is a
> > slight pause in {tera'[ ]ngan}.
>
> But as we all know, Okrand doesn't much care about spaces, and Klingon
> is a spoken language. ;-)

He doesn't care much about spaces when it comes to compound words and their
individual components. However, he distinguishes between words and
suffixes, and I don't know how significant this is, but the qepHom booklet
says "{-ngan}" and not {ngan}. This suggests that while the standalone word
{ngan} means "inhabitant (of)", there's a very similar suffix-like thing
which is used to indicate a group of beings more generally (and which may
have been historically or etymologically related to the standalone word).

--
De'vID