[tlhIngan Hol] I’ll try again

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 22:40:52 PST 2019

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 23:39, Cathryn Reinoehl <careinoehl at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a question about all the words below for leader/emperor.
>
> If I wanted to write a story about the Plagues of Egypt, which word would
> I use for “Pharaoh”?

That depends on your purpose for the translation. For some audiences, it
might be appropriate to transliterate "Pharaoh" and explain it in a
footnote. For others, perhaps {ta'} or {voDleH} is enough.

> I asked and made sure - it’s a title, not a name. Same with writing a
> story about Esther, and there is King Xerxes. (I will be using the longer
> name that starts with A instead of Xerxes though - it is easier to write in
> Klingon!)

Ahasuerus? Why not go with the Old Persian original Xšayaṛša (maybe
*{'IHSayarSa} or something like that)?

--
De'vID