[tlhIngan Hol] Prefix used with 'ar

Hugh Son puqloD Hugh at qeylIS.net
Fri Nov 15 06:59:32 PST 2019

> On Nov 15, 2019, at 08:06, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2019 5:04 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>> Regarding the problem we recently had with {'ar}, Okrand answered:
>>
>> Plural if the questioned noun can be singular or plural (it lacks a
>> plural suffix) and the translation is “how many?”; singular if the
>> questioned noun is something that can’t be counted and the translation
>> is “how much?” So {Duj ’ar DIlegh?} “How many ships do we see?” {bIQ ’ar
>> wIlegh?} “How much water do we see?”
>
> So we now have a mass-noun detector.

And we seemingly have {nIn} and {bIQ} confirmed as mass nouns, if they weren’t already definitively known to be mass nouns.

Have we ever had canonical information on whether mass nouns can take plural suffixes? I suppose at least with {-mey}, that could always just carry a “scattered all about” reading, similarly to how “waters” would in English.