[tlhIngan Hol] Prefix used with 'ar

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Nov 14 23:06:46 PST 2019

Am 15.11.2019 um 07:36 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
>  > Plural if the questioned noun can be
>  > singular or plural (it lacks a plural suffix)
>
> Does this mean, that the questioned noun *can* have a plural suffix ?
>
> Meaning we can say {Dujmey 'ar DIlegh ?} ?

No, I'm sure it's not,because that would contradict the rule of TKD, 6.4:

"Finally, {'ar} "how many? how much?" follows the noun to which it
refers. It can never follow a noun with a plural suffix ({-pu', -mey,
-Du';})."

So you could restate that phrase into "The plural suffix is not used on
a noun in front the word {'ar}, but the noun phrase with 'ar is treated
as plural if the noun is countable and singular if the noun is not."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"