[tlhIngan Hol] expressing ratio

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Nov 6 06:53:35 PST 2019

> If it were common to say {loS loch wa'} for "one quarter", Klaa would've said it.

I'm not so sure about that; different contexts and languages have different conventions when it comes to fractions, decimals and percentages. For example, a recipe is likely to call for "one half deciliter" or "0,5 deciliters" of flour, but not "50% of a deciliter". On the flip side, it's very common to write out discounts in percentage points, even when it's a common fraction like 1/2 or 1/4.

We know that "quarter impulse" and "half impulse" are commonly used on Starfleet ships, which makes it suitable for the subtitle, but it may be that Klingons (or Klaa in particular) prefer to give them in percent; perhaps for consistency, perhaps for accuracy, perhaps simply as a matter of preference.

//loghaD