[tlhIngan Hol] {-oy} following an open syllable

kechpaja at kechpaja.com kechpaja at kechpaja.com
Mon Nov 4 12:58:56 PST 2019

A {qaghwI'} would be one option to break the vowel sequence, but I could
easily imagine {w} being used after {o} or {u}, or {y} after {I} (or
maybe {e}). One might also see the elision of the suffix's vowel,
especially after another {o} (i.e. {Do} + {-oy} might get {Doy}).

It also isn't that strange for a language to have an affix that can't
attach to words with certain phonological shapes, even if the resulting
word wouldn't violate any phonological rules. For instance, the English
deadjectival verbalizing suffix "-en" that we see in words such as
"redden" and "darken" (it's generally used with color terms, but can
occasionally occur with other adjectives) cannot be added to adjectives
ending in a vowel or sonorant — which is why you don't hear *yellowen or
*greenen. So it could just be the case that if a Klingon wants to
construct a {bang pong} using {-oy} from a word ending in a vowel, they
have to find some workaround (perhaps adding another word in between?
{ghu nuvoy}, anyone?).

 - SapIr