[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: luS

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri May 24 00:17:16 PDT 2019

Am 24.05.2019 um 02:53 schrieb SuStel:
> I don't see how this leaves the apostrophe (U+0027) an acceptable
> character to use.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me here. In my first messages I wrote

 >> You have weird apostrophes there.
 >> I suggest simple ' or fancy ’, but never ‘.

This means I suggest U+0027 and U+2019, but never U+2018. It's only this
last one I say you should not use.

> Is there an acceptable typeface for Klingon? A recommended line spacing?
> Do bullets have to be triangles? How far down the typography hole do we

Now you are the one going cynical again.

> aesthetically please choice for the *qaghwI'.* I just don't see any
> reason to claim that left single quotation marks, or even apostrophes,
> are "just the wrong symbol."

As I wrote before: you misunderstood me here. There are some things,
which are not my opinion, but just a simple fact.

The following is a direct quote from Wikipedia (Okay, that page can be
edited by anyone, but let's put that topic aside)

-----------
Unicode defines three apostrophe characters:
     U+0027 ' APOSTROPHE    Typewriter apostrophe.

     U+2019 ’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK

     Punctuation apostrophe. Serves as both an apostrophe and closing
single quotation mark. This is the preferred character to use for
apostrophe according to the Unicode standard.

     U+02BC ʼ MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE

     Modifier letters [...]
[continue on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Unicode]

So, all I'm saying is: please do not use the left single quotation mark.
It's the wrong symbol which usually only appears due to some autocorrect
function.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"