[tlhIngan Hol] What would you do ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri May 31 08:34:18 PDT 2019

On 5/31/2019 11:21 AM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
>> On May 31, 2019, at 10:00, SuStel<sustel at trimboli.name>  wrote:
>>
>> QaQ jajvam
> va, vangmeH wot vIbuSqu'taHmo' Doth wot vIlIjchu'pu'!

http://klingonska.org/canon/1997-06-29d-news.txt

    /Though they both can be translated "today," DaHjaj and jajvam are
    not quite interchangeable.  As the time element in a sentence,
    DaHjaj (and not jajvam) is used://
    /

        /DaHjaj romuluSngan vIHoHpu' "today I killed a Romulan"
        (DaHjaj "today," romuluSngan "Romulan," vIHoHpu' "I have killed
        him/her")/

(Notice, unbelievers, the perfective used on an event that was completed
during the stated time expression, not before, and which is translated
into English as both simple past tense and present perfect tense!)

    /As the subject of a sentence, on the other hand, jajvam is more
    typically found:/

        /nI' jajvam "this day is long"
        (nI' "[it] is long [in duration], jajvam "this day")/

    /though DaHjaj is not impossible:
    /

        /nI' DaHjaj "today is long" (nI' "[it] is long [in duration],
        DaHjaj "today")/

Ah, but wait!

KGT:

    /The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade./

    *wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj.*