[tlhIngan Hol] Dargh HIvje' jengva' je

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon May 20 06:36:31 PDT 2019

Am 20.05.2019 um 14:57 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> What I'm wondering though is this: Assume we have a N-N-N-N (quadruple
> noun construction); are *all* combinations possible ? i.e. (N-N)-N-N,
> N-(N-N)-N, N-N-(N-N), (N-N-N)-N, N-(N-N-N) ?
>
> Of course, I would never use something like that in a real text, but I
> would like to understand how this actually works.

A row of nouns can usually be translated as "Noun#(n) of Noun#(n-1)" and
this may go very long. 3 or 4 nouns in a row even is nothing special,
think of

{tlhIngan wo' SuvwI'}
or even
{tlhIngan wo' DevwI' juH lojmIt}
"The gate of the home of the leader of the empire of the Klingons"

It would be strange if you wanted to think about what parts of this may
have a different meaning and I can actually not think of anything that
may have a different meaning.

As someone else said already, punctuation may be helpful in long
phrases, such as
{muSuch vav jup, SoS HoD je.}  = 2 people
{muSuch vav, jup SoS, HoD je.} = 3 people
{muSuch vav jup SoS, HoD je.}  = 2 people
{muSuch vav jup SoS HoD je.}   = 4 people

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"