[tlhIngan Hol] Noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the sentence

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon May 13 08:22:38 PDT 2019

On 5/13/2019 11:07 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> From: mayqel qunen'oS
>>> We know, that we can place a noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the
>>> sentence, the meaning then goes "as for (noun).." and the sentence continues.
>>> The classic example is:
>>> {qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS} you would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy
> No,  what we know is that you can introduce a law'/puS formula with a noun phrase marked with {-'e'}.  AFAIK it's the only one I know of so marked.  Other such introductory phrases or clauses [...] are marked with {-meH} [...] or {-mo'} [...] or {-Daq} [...] or {-lu'DI'} [...] or {-lu'chugh)
>
> Such formulaic comparisons are not normal, simple sentences.

But adding these elements is a normal, productive application of the
rules given in TKD, and this is supported by the wide variety of
syntactic noun phrases and dependent clauses applied to it. I see no
reason to suspect that *law'/puS* sentences limit the kinds of these
phrases.

And it's fairly clear from TKD that another normal application of the
rules is to add noun phrases to the fronts of sentences when their
syntactic roles are known, whether by suffix or by their identification
as time expressions.

But pronoun-sentences already have a correct form with a topic, so I
don't see the point of avoiding that correct form. It just makes you
sound like you're talking backward or in pieces.