[tlhIngan Hol] Instinct yes, but of what kind ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 10 08:02:48 PDT 2019

From: mayqel qunen'oS
>> We have {Duj} for "instinct/instinct".  There are two kinds of "instinct":
>>
>> 1. The "gut feeling"; e.g. "my instincts tell me ancient cats are expensive"
>> 2. The actual instinct; e.g. survival instinct, reproductive instinct, etc
>>
>> So, which of the two is {Duj} ?

Generally number 1, in the sense of one's intuition or gut feeling.  Notice that the gloss was "instincts" - plural not singular - which is how it's used in English.  Here is Okrand on instincts:

(TKW 27):  The Klingon word for instincts is {Duj}, and it is grammatically correct to treat it as singular (a bundle or collection of instincts) or plural (individual instincts).

  vaj Duj chIj
  "navigate a warrior ship" KGT

(KGT 113-115):  This is a way to say have strength of character. This sense clearly came about because of the existence in Klingon of two words pronounced {Duj}, one meaning ship, vessel, the other meaning instincts. If {Duj} is taken in its 'ship' sense, then {vaj Duj} means warrior ship, something that is certainly appropriate to navigate ({chIj}). On the other hand, if {Duj} is taken to mean instincts, then {vaj Duj} means warrior instincts and the phrase {vaj Duj chIj} (navigate warrior instincts) makes no sense unless interpreted idiomatically. <...>  It is noteworthy that in this idiom the word for warrior is not the frequently heard {SuvwI'}, which would denote an individual warrior, but rather is {vaj}, which refers to the whole idea of being a warrior. Thus, when {Duj} is taken to mean instincts, {vaj Duj} refers to the instincts associated with being a warrior or the instincts needed for combat; {SuvwI' Duj} would mean the instincts of a specific warrior.

  Duj tIvoqtaH
  Always trust your instincts. TKD

  DujlIj yIvoq
  Trust your instincts. TKW

Although note the phrase "by instinct" Okrand translated in the paq'batlh:

  QaQ qeylIS Duj
      ghe'tor 'elmeH
      yapbe' may' 'e' Sovchu'
  Kahless knows by instinct
      A fight will not suffice
      To enter the land of the dead.  PB

Literally "Kahless's instincts are good..."

All that being said, I would certainly understand *{taHmeH Duj / yInmeH Duj} or  *{nga'chuqmeH Duj / ngaghmeH Duj}.  Whether that's the way Maltz would say it is another matter...

--
Voragh