[tlhIngan Hol] 'ar and -bogh

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri May 3 10:05:17 PDT 2019

On May 3, 2019, at 12:43 PM, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> {latlh Doch'e' 'ar DaleghlaHbogh tu'lu' ?}
> how many additional things which you are able to see there are ?
>
> Is this correct ?

{'ar} feels like an adjectival verb to me. The placement of the type 5 topic suffix {-'e'} bothers me. On the other hand, I'm not comfortable saying {Doch 'ar'e'} either.

On the gripping hand, what meaning does {-'e'} carry here anyway? I don't see any reason for it to be present at all.

Then again, what purpose do {Doch} and {tu'lu'} serve in this sentence? I would just ask {latlh 'ar DaleghlaH}? “How many additional ones can you see?” There might be context that makes the longer sentence more reasonable, but from the way it was presented I think it sounds like a too-slavish translation instead of a clear and natural question.

-- ghunchu'wI'