[tlhIngan Hol] How do we say spring and autumn ?

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu May 2 09:17:32 PDT 2019

Am 02.05.2019 um 18:03 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> But how do we say spring and autumn ?

Of course, the short answer is: we don't know.

But since I know you do not like that answer, I'll go into a longer
answer. :-)

There are several ways to express that concept. The first one of course
would be based on the temperature, which we have {bIr} and {tuj}. So You
could say something like {tujchoHbogh qImroq} and {bIrchoHbogh qImroq},
seasons who are getting cold/warm.

One other way is to go and use the verbs for precede and follow, and
call spring the before-summer and fall the before-winter, but that will
start the discussion if fall counts as late summer or early winter.

Next, if you stick to earth rhythms, you could simply name spring as
{qImroq wa'DIch}, but again that's very Earth focused, and being very
strict, the year starts with winter, so even that is not so clear.

So to say it as general as possible, I would try to describe the season
regarding to what happens, even a little peotic: {ghub qImroq} "season
of buds", {'InSong qImroq} "season of flowers", {por QaD qImroq} "dry
leaf season", {chuch qImroq} "ice season".

But who knows, maybe Klingons connect their season to celestial objects,
or maybe they even have only two seasons?

Alls of these are only suggestions, of course.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"