[tlhIngan Hol] Apollo mission sentence

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed May 1 10:07:10 PDT 2019

Excellent analysis of a very complex sentence.

The only thing I’d add for educational purposes is that because of the word order for Klingon sentences, it’s really only context that associates the locative with the purpose clause. Grammatically, it could apply to either the purpose clause or “while” clause, or the main clause, but context tells us that the command module never made it to the moon, nor did 1/3 of the space travelers, so the locative only applies to the landing, which is the purpose of the mission. It’s the “in order to land on the Moon” mission, translated as “first manned lunar landing mission".

It’s interesting that the Klingon translation doesn’t actually say that it’s a manned mission. They could have explicitly added {nuv} or some such as subject of {SaqmeH}. It could have been more explicit, like:

{tera’ jar Soch, DIS wa’ Hut jav Hut, maSDaq SaqmeH Human Qu’ wa’DIch HochHom turlu’taHvIS, wej logh lengwI’pu’ pa’mey ‘oH Apollo wa’maH wa’ ra’ghom bobcho Columbia’e’.}

"Earth month seven, year 1969, while carrying out most of the first in-order-that-a-human-lands-on-the-moon mission, the Apollo 11 command module Columbia was the three space travelers' rooms.”

It’s even more interesting since, if you are familiar with the command module, you probably would have considered it to be one room, avoiding the whole issue of whether the main verb should have been {‘oH} or {bIH}.

So, the time stamp applies to all the clauses, while the locative applies only to the purpose clause. And they left off a significant word. Not a bad translation, though.

Meanwhile, that one missing word…

Yeah, I can hear it now:

“That’s one small step. One giant leap.”

It wouldn’t have made much sense without mentioning that a person did it.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.