[tlhIngan Hol] Dargh HIvje' jengva' je

DloraH seruq at bellsouth.net
Mon May 20 05:34:52 PDT 2019

On Mon, 20 May 2019 14:15:21 +0300
"mayqel qunen'oS" <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> ok, listen.
>
> Recently, a little bird informed me of the tnk {Dargh HIvje' jengva'
> je}, for "cup and saucer".
>
> After I thanked the bird, feeding it a few 'Iw breadcrumbs, I begun to
> wonder..
>
> Doesn't the {Dargh HIvje' jengva' je}, mean "tea, cup, and saucer" ?
>
> If the intention behind the obscure {Dargh HIvje' jengva' je} is to
> actually mean "tea (cup and saucer)", i.e. "(cup and saucer) of tea",
> then how the ghe''or can the {Dargh HIvje' jengva' je} be interpreted
> as {Dargh (HIvje' jengva' je)} ?
>
> I would expect for "tea cup and saucer" to be {Dargh HIvje' Dargh
> jengva' je}.
>
> ~ m. qunen'oS
> DeghwI', DIvI' vIghro' yIbuS. QuQ neH.

Punctuation aside, your English phrase has the same issue.
If you wrote a story, in English, and used that phrase, how would we
now what you mean?  ...Same for Klingon.

In spoken Klingon, just as with spoken English, you
would most likely pause differently between the words to change the
meaning.

- DloraH