[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tay'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 15 08:14:15 PDT 2019

Klingon word: tay'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be together

tay'taHbe' 'Iw bIQ je
Blood and water don't mix. (TKW)

reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je
One is always of his tribe.
 ("A person and his house are always together") (TKW)

wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
We are U.K. Klingons!  (RT)

matay'DI' vIHtaHbogh bIQ rur mu'qaDmey
Between us, curses run like water. (PK)

wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap
We succeed together in a greater whole. (TKW)

muptaHvIS tay''eghmoH QeHDaj Hoch
All his rage focused in one blow (PB)

pIj tay'taH Doch pIm
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = IDIC
 (lit. "different things are often continuously together") (ASM)

(st.klingon 9/1997):  The other way is actually more formal and a bit formulaic. To say "Kahlor is of the House of Molor" (or "Kahlor is from the House of Molor"), you could say {tay' qeylor molor tuq je}. This is literally "Kahlor and the House of Molor are together." The construction is no doubt based on the Klingon proverb "One is always of his tribe" ... If Kahlor is speaking, he could say, "I am of the House of Molor" {matay' jIH molor tuq je}. Or if one were speaking to Kahlor, one could say, "You are of the House of Molor" {Sutay' SoH molor tuq je}. Literally, these are "The House of Molor and I are together" [and] "The House of Molor and you are together." The independent pronouns ({jIH} "I" and {SoH} "you" in the examples above) are always used in this construction.

  "Do you know why we are so strong? Because we are a unit. Each of us is part of a greater whole." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

PUN: 	"tie"?

SEE:
Hovtay'  			star system (n)
mu'tay'  			vocabulary (n)