[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jIvvo'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon May 13 22:07:31 PDT 2019

On Mon, 13 May 2019 at 10:52, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> See it here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaRoU0IqnI
>

> The original scene is on the Blueray, and the lips movement fit
> something else, close to {... jIHvo' nIH... }, acording to subtitles "he
> stole from me". Although it's really hard to understand.

Having watched your side-by-side synchronised edit, I concur with your
assessment.

The line she actually says is:
{HIja', 'ej jIHvo' nIHDI' jIbup.}
"Yes, and when he stole from me I dumped (him)."

The {HIja'} was dubbed into {jIyI'}. Two different shots of the {'ej jIHvo'
nIHDI' jIbup} sentence was dubbed into two different sentences!
1. {ghach jIvvo' naH.} [The {jIbup} part is cut off and not used.]
2. {'ej chIvo' neH chIw vum'e'.}

Combining this with my previous notes (see my message dated Sep. 8, 2017,
with the subject "STID dialogue"), some of the re-dubbing was based on this
previous version of the dialogue:

Uhura: Who is the leader?
{DevwI' ghaH 'Iv'e'?} -> {jIvuylaH. jIve'.}

Klingon: How do you know Klingon?
[not used]

Uhura: My romantic partner taught me.
{mughojmoH parmaqqaywI'.} -> {potlhmo' batlh, vIqawba'.}

Klingon: You mated with a Klingon?
{tlhIngan Dangaghpu''a' SoH?}
[not used]

Uhura: Yes, and when he stole from me I dumped him.
{HIja', 'ej jIHvo' nIHDI' jIbup.} -> {jIyI'.} {'ej chIvo' neH chIw vum'e'.}
/ {ghach jIvvo' naH.}

Uhura: To find him and take back my things, I have tracked him here.
{ghaH vISammeH 'ej DochmeywIj vItlhapqa'meH naDev vIghochpu'.}
-> [{ghaH vISammeH} is not used] {'ej Dojmey wID - vInDa'ma' peq.} [{-meH
naDev vIghochpu'} is not used.]

Now he is hiding in the ruins of this city, a coward.
{DaH vengvam pIghDaq So''eghtaH. nuch.}
In the final version, this was shortened to {DaH pIghvamDaq So''eghtaH} to
match the shorter timing. This change was hidden by Uhura's not being
visible when it's spoken.

Klingon: You lie.
{bInep}

Uhura: Then kill me. I will certainly die with honour.
{vaj HIHoH. batlh jIHeghbej.}

--
De'vID