[tlhIngan Hol] Noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the sentence

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon May 13 09:53:44 PDT 2019

On 5/13/2019 12:41 PM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> Again, sorry for my ignorance of grammar terms, but can you please
> explain the difference between "marked" "emphasized" and "topicalized" ?

/Marked/ means the wording is noticeably odd in some way. /Emphasis/
means you are drawing attention or importance to a term. /Topic/ means
you're telling what the sentence is all about.

Klingon *-'e'* serves as a topic marker in pronoun-as-to-be sentences.
It serves as an emphasis marker when placed on the subject or object of
a basic sentence or dependent clause. It serves as a marker of the head
noun of a relative clause. And it serves as the marker of a topic noun
standing on its own, but this usage is said by Okrand to be marked —
using it this way seems odd to native speakers.