[tlhIngan Hol] Noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the sentence

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon May 13 09:41:12 PDT 2019

jIH:
> {tlhInganpu''e', maHvaD Dujmeychaj nojQo'}
> {tlhInganpu''e', qajatlhpu', maHvaD
> Dujmeychaj nojQo'}
> {tlhInganpu''e', maHvaD Dujmeychaj nojqang
> net jalchugh, vaj QangvaD langmeH mIw
> vImuch}
> Are the above wrong ?
> Are the above correct ?
> or..
> Are the above correct, *only* if I want to
> emphasize ?
SuStel:
> They are marked, because there is no reason
> you can't leave those nouns in their normal
> places in their sentences and still get
> emphasis:

Sorry for asking this, but because grammar terms confuse me.. (i.e. I don't
know them..)

When you say "marked", you mean "emphatic" ?

So, if I understand correctly, ({qajatlhpu'} aside..) these sentences are
correct, only if the intention is to emphasize ?

> {qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS}
SuStel
> Okrand said that such a phrase is marked,
> not that it automatically provides emphasis

As this thread goes on, I become more confused by each line I read.

Again, sorry for my ignorance of grammar terms, but can you please explain
the difference between "marked" "emphasized" and "topicalized" ?

~ m. qunen'oS
Ca'Non holy Ca'Non