[tlhIngan Hol] Instinct yes, but of what kind ?

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sat May 11 02:53:01 PDT 2019

jevreH:
> We can differentiate between instinct and non-instinct to a degree
> (with a healthy grey area between instinct, intuition, and cognition)
> because we are sapient, and have higher cognitive functioning.

I totally agree with jevreH. Totally.

The fact that we're self-aware and able of higher cognitive functions,
doesn't change the fact that an instict is a gut feeling, an inner
drive, a deeper need, which guides/influences our behavior.

I'm in the market place of Qo'noS; I stand before of a seller who
tries to make me buy an ancient cat. I suspect something's wrong,
because that cat is inexpensive. It's my instinct, telling me
something's wrong.

I leave that seller, and in a dark alley, I realize two klingons armed
with knives are following me. It's the survival instinct, telling me
to fight or flight.

I escape the romulans, and I see lurSa' and be'etor; it's the sexual
instinct which kicks in.

The fact that as humans, we're able to discern differences between the
"mild" instinct that the seller is trying to deceive us, and the more
"primal" instincts of survival/sex/whatever, doesn't change the fact
that in all cases we talk about an instinct, which merely manifests
differently, depending on the occasion.

With this being said, I'll be using {Duj} with regards, to all kinds
of instincts.

Unless of course, someone can add to this discussion arguments, which
could convince me otherwise.

But the fact that 'oqranD, wrote {Duj tIvoqtaH}, doesn't narrow down
the context of {Duj}. We can't expect 'oqranD, to have used every word
in every possible way.

Unless he has said "don't use a word that way", then I see no reason
to limit ourselves.

~ m. qunen'oS
tera' joH, qo' joHna', qavan