[tlhIngan Hol] And if I saw maltz today..

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 8 12:40:00 PDT 2019

Another example:

  targhlIj Daje'.  qaS wanI' ramqu'.
  Feed your targ without incident. MKE

FYI Okrand also used {Sop} to translate “feed” in the paq’batlh:

  ghoS ghoqwI' tam 'e' yItu'
     yoHHa'wI' Sop ghaH
     Hub'eghbe' targh
  See the spy creeping,
     He will feed on the weak-hearted,
     See the targ, an easy prey.
__
Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of SuStel

On 5/8/2019 3:12 PM, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
On May 8, 2019, at 09:34, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name<mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:.

Is there really all that much difference between buying him a cup of coffee and feeding him a cup of coffee? The very source of the ambiguity also makes the ambiguity not matter all that much.
Do we have confirmation that {je’} is “to provide food for” rather than the actual act of placing food in the recipient’s mouth?

Do we have any reason to think it's not?

Kruge says yIje' at one of his officers, pointing to his vicious pet on the bridge. I don't think he meant the officer was supposed to spoon-feed the thing.

qa' wIje'meH maSuv refers idiomatically to feeding the spirit. We do it by fighting, not by putting anything in the spirit's mouth. But this is an idiom, so it's dangerous to look too closely at the literal meaning.