[tlhIngan Hol] Can we say {qarbe''a'} ?

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:55:45 PDT 2019

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:46 AM Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> So, if you use {qarbe’’a’} following a statement, you’ve just added a
> period between the previous statement and {qarbe’’a’}. You no longer have a
> yes/no question with the assumption that the answer is probably yes. You
> are just saying something, and we start out from scratch figuring out what
> it means.

You probably wouldn't have to start entirely from scratch. If someone
says *wagh
vIghro'mey tIQ. qarbe''a'?*, even though this isn't a usual tag question, I
can deduce that *qarbe''a'* is probably supposed to refer to the previous
statement. (Perhaps they originally said *wagh vIghro'mey tIQ* confidently,
but then realized they weren't 100% sure, so they added *qarbe''a'*, in the
sense of "...am I wrong?") It might not have the same connotations of
expecting a "yes" answer, but you're still asking about the accuracy of a
statement.